Saturday, October 11, 2008

Out of Mind and into Body by Maeve Hoglund



This picture is the recent production of Tales of Hoffmann where I sang Antonia.

Right away when I look at this image I think of the moment during the second session when I stated the intention to get more in body and less in my mind. Specifically so I could free my instrument and let the internal movements of character drive me. Fortunately I was able to sing Antonia after having some months with Lauren and all the wonderful people in class who continue to push themselves outside their comfort zone and provide such a rich learning environment. Touching a piece of physical freedom proved to be quite the task for me and continues to be. But class by class I continued to challenge myself to let go of what I held in my mind as right and let my body lead. As I begun to experience this transition it supplied what I'd call an "ah ha" of sorts. That if I became comfortable with the internal workings of my character I could then make physical choices in every moment that informed myself, others I am working with and those who are watching. In turn, this familiarity I have strips away physical hesitancy and full realization of me as my character in each moment.

~Maeve

No comments: