Saturday, October 11, 2008

Great start to the blogging

Hey Gang,

Great start to the class blog. Start to talk about the character. What did you learn about the character? What do you know now that you didn't know before about that characters relationships, history, situation?

One of the photos of me posted on the right (red hair and leaning on a bed dressed in white) is of Lady Macbeth. Opera Company of Philadelphia production from 2003 (I think). Prior to this production I had always played her as very single minded and determined. The notion of a kill or be killed social and political hierarchy always prevailed in my thoughts. In previous productions the stage had always been completely bare for the letter reading, the aria and the duet with Macbeth which follows. I had also never been wigged in any other production before and my short (then red) hair made a terrific statement right away about femininity. I had also been costumed in steely grays and cold golds. In Philadelphia I had a softer and more immediate kind of girly look and then there was this huge comfortable bed. One day in rehearsal for this scene (which is Act I) the softness of the bed and it's size, the diaphanous cut of the gown and the wig helped the scene achieve a kind of privacy and intimacy of thought I had not considered in such detail. Suddenly I was able to consider vulnerability and uncertainty in the letter reading. I was able to find a softer Lady Macbeth. Round curves, sensuous movement, uncertainty, DISCOVERY. Before this it had been a scene of knowing and suspicion. Prophecy foretold and fulfilled. Could a soft gentler Lady find the means and the justification to commit the crimes to come? It was a risk but definitely a risk worth taking. xoxoxox Lauren

P.S. when you post - you have to sign your posts or it will look like I played all of those characters!!!

No comments: